The benefits are many:
- Muscles, fascia and connective tissue become more elastic, allowing for greater flexibility with less chance of injury
- Sweating is promoted, which assists the detoxification process
- Blood becomes thinner, clearing the circulatory system
- Endurance is boosted through consistent practice
- Your body burns fat more effectively: fat may be redistributed and burned as energy during the class. It is common to lose centimetres in a very short time.
- The heat produces a fluid-like stretch, allowing for greater range of movement in joints, muscles, ligaments and other supporting structures of the body
- Capillaries dilate in the heat; more effectively oxygenating the tissues, muscles, glands and organs and helping in the removal of waste products
- Your peripheral circulation improves
- Your metabolism speeds up the breakdown of glucose and fatty acids
- Willpower, self-control, concentration and determination are strengthened in this challenging environment
- Your heart-rate becomes elevated, and the cardiovascular system gets a thorough workout – heart and lungs.
- Just as when your body raises its temperature to fight infection, the raised temperature in the room may assist in improving the proper functioning of your immune system.
With regular practice, discipline and honest effort you will:
- Reshape your body
- Reduce the risk of sports injury
- Reduce the effects of stress
- Clear your mind and calm your soul
- Tone and strengthen muscles
- Develop increased strength, balance, flexibility, coordination and endurance
- Increase your energy level
Bikram’s Yoga also:
- Teaches you to breathe fully and correctly
- Helps reduce symptoms of chronic illnesses and injuries
- Helps promote better sleep – you may even need less sleep
- Promotes a deep sense of well-being and a peaceful mind
- Helps in weight-loss and toning
- Improves posture and body awareness
- Improves flexibility of your spine in its range of motion in all directions, allowing improvement in the functioning of your central nervous system. Better nervous system communication means a better functioning body and mind
- Improves the healing and regenerative powers of your body
- Maintains (and regains) youthful appearance and skin tone
- Works all systems of the body: cardiovascular, nervous, lymphatic, endocrine, immune, digestive, reproductive, muscular and skeletal
- Helps to reduce stress
- Helps improve heart and lung capacity
- Lubricates the joints
- Helps to eliminate back pain by strengthening the spine;
- Builds mental strength by holding your mind in a focused, meditative state.
- Gives the body a cardiovascular workout without negative impacting forces.
Disclaimer: The benefits suggested for Bikram’s Yoga are based on scientific and anecdotal evidence of improvement in many conditions – both chronic and acute – that have been witnessed by medical staff, teachers or students over many years of practicing Bikram’s Yoga. They should not be construed as a guarantee that these benefits will definitely occur for all yoga students. Consistent practice will always be the best approach. Use your own body wisdom.
This information is not intended to replace advice from your medical practitioner or natural therapies practitioner.